I am Qi Luo, an Assistant Professor at Clemson University.
E-mail: qluo2 (at) clemson.edu Office: 277B Freeman
He was a Postdoctoral Research Associate at Cornell University and a researcher in Argonne National Laboratory operated by the University of Chicago. He received his Ph.D. in Operations Research and Scientific Computing from the University of Michigan, and B.S. in Nuclear Science and Technology and B.A. in Business from Xi’an Jiaotong University.
His primary research interest is in the areas of data-driven decision-making in operations management and emerging mobility systems. His research has been recognized by prizes such as the INFORMS APS Best Student Paper (finalist) and I-Sim Best Student Paper.
Dr. Luo is a faculty member affiliated with Clemson Operations Research Institute and the Artificial Intelligence Research Institute for Science and Engineering (AIRISE).
DIALab (Decision Intelligence & Analytics Lab) at Clemson University focuses on exploring the mathematical foundation that comprises prescriptive analytics and learning algorithms.
Our ongoing projects include building emerging mobility ecosystems, managing personalized healthcare services, and improving the digital supply chain.
- DIALab in Industrial Engineering at Clemson University is actively looking for Ph.D./M.S. students with sound backgrounds in mathematical modeling and data analytics (Enroll in 2022).
- Please directly apply to IE graduate program.
- The most important quality is self-motivation — I appreciate a solid research plan in your email with an attached CV.
- Dr. Luo is in the organizing committee for the 2021 International Symposium on Transportation Data and Modeling (ISTDM) on June 21–23, 2021 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- Dr. Luo is in an organizing committee for Emerging Mobility Systems and Services Seminar Series, a prestigious research seminar for advanced transportation studies. This weekly seminar is free to register.
- How to mitigate the risk of taking public transit and distribute vaccines during the outbreak of pandemic? We are working with researchers from Weill Cornell Medicine, Vanderbilt University, and Rutgers University on modeling the best practice in addressing this timely issue.
- Joint work with Prof. Zhibin Chen (NYU Shanghai), Prof. Yafeng Yin (CEE U-M), and Prof. Romesh Saigal is reported on U-M Engineering Research News in 2020.
- Joint work with Zhiyuan Huang and Prof. Henry Lam titled “Dynamic Congestion Pricing for Ridesourcing Traffic: A Simulation-Based Approach.” won the Winter Simulation Conference I-Sim Ph.D. Colloquium Best Student Paper Award in 2019.
- Hao Yuan’s work co-authored with Qi Luo and Prof. Cong Shi titled “Marrying Stochastic Gradient Descent with Bandits: Learning Algorithms for Inventory Systems with Fixed Costs.” won the 2019 Applied Probability Society Best Student Paper competition, finalist.
- Joint work with Xuechun Dou, Prof. Sharon Di (Columbia University), and Prof. Robert C. Hampshire on connecting bikesharing and ride-hailing was reported in Ford School’s News.
Research & Publication
Emerging Mobility Market
Reinvent passenger and goods transportation in the digital age
Refereed Articles Published
- Dong, Tingting, Zhengtian Xu, Qi Luo, Yafeng Yin, Jian Wang, and Jieping Ye. “Optimal contract design for ride-sourcing services under dual sourcing.” Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 146 (2021): 289-313.
- Luo, Qi, Romesh Saigal, Zhibin Chen, and Yafeng Yin, “Accelerating the Adoption of Automated Vehicles by Subsidies: A Dynamic Games Approach. ” Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, 129:226-243, 2019.
- Li, Shukai, Qi Luo, and Robert Hampshire. “Optimizing Large On-demand Transportation Systems through Stochastic Conic Programming.” European Journal of Operational Research, forthcoming.
- Luo, Qi, Xuechun Dou, Xuan Di, and Robert Hampshire. “Multimodal Connections between Micro-Mobility and Micro-transit: Conceptual Foundations and Empirical Evidence.” IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, forthcoming.
- Luo, Qi, Shukai Li, and Robert Hampshire. “Optimal Design of Intermodal Mobility Networks under Uncertainty: Connecting Micromobility with Mobility-on-Demand Transit.” EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics, forthcoming.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Luo, Qi, Samitha Samaranayake, and Siddhartha Banerjee. “Multimodal Mobility Systems: Joint Optimization of Transit Network Design and Pricing.” Proceedings of the 12th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS). 2021.
- Luo, Qi, Xuechun Dou, Xuan Di, and Robert Cornelius Hampshire. ”Multimodal Connections between Dockless Bike-sharing and Ride-Hailing: An Empirical Study in New York City.” In 2018 21st International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), pp. 2256-2261. IEEE, 2018.
- Luo, Qi, Romesh Saigal, Robert Hampshire, and Xinyi Wu. ”A Statistical Method for Parking Spaces Occupancy Detection via Automotive Radars.” In 2017 IEEE 85th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), pp. 1-5. IEEE, 2017.
- Wu, Xinyi, Kartik Balkumar, Qi Luo, Robert Hampshire, and Romesh Saigal. “An Evaluation of Information Sharing Parking Guidance Policies Using a Bayesian Approach.” TransportationResearch Board Annual Meeting, Washington DC 2016.
- Sundt, Alexander, Qi Luo, John Vincent, Mehrdad Shahabi, and Yafeng Yin. “Heuristics for Customer-focused Ride-pooling Assignment.” Submitted.
Explore and exploit when interacting with the environment
Refereed Articles Published
- Yuan, Hao, Qi Luo, and Cong Shi. “Marrying Stochastic Gradient Descent with Bandits: Learning Algorithms for Inventory Systems with Fixed Costs.” Management Science 2021 doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2020.3799.
- APS 2019 Student paper competition, finalist.
- Murty Prize 2019 for best paper on optimization.
- Qin, Guoyang, Qi Luo, Yafeng Yin, Jian Sun, and Jieping Ye. “Optimal Matching Time Interval Policy for Ride-hailing Services using Reinforcement Learning.” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, forthcoming.
Workshops and Invited Presentations:
- Qin, Guoyang, Qi Luo, Yafeng Yin, Jian Sun, and Jieping Ye. “Optimal Matching Time Interval Policy for Ride-hailing Services using Reinforcement Learning.” 100th Annual Meeting Transportation Research Board, Washington 2021.
- Yuan, Hao, Qi Luo, and Robert Hampshire. “Data-Driven Modeling of Ride-Hailing Trajectories.” Workshop in ACM SIGIR conference, Ann Arbor 2018.
Analytics for Social Good
Data analytics can make a difference in social equity
Referred Article Published
- Luo, Qi, and Romesh Saigal. “Multiagent Incentive Contracts: Existence, Uniqueness and Implementation.” Mathematics 2021, 9, 19.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Luo, Qi, Zhiyuan Huang, and Henry Lam. “Dynamic Congestion Pricing for Ridesourcing Traffic: A Simulation-Based Approach.” Winter Simulation Conference 2019 Proceedings.
- Winter Simulation Conference 2019 I-Sim Ph.D. Colloquium Best Student Paper Award, winner
- Luo, Qi, Marissa Gee, Daniel Work, Benedetto Piccoli, and Samitha Samaranayakee. “Managing Public Transit in the Prevalence of Pandemic and Reopening the Economy.” 100th Annual Meeting Transportation Research Board, Washington 2021.
- Yu, Fangzhou, Qi Luo, Tayo Fabusuyi, and Robert Hampshire. “A Heuristic for Learn-and-Optimize New Mobility Services with Equity and Efficiency Metrics.” 99th Annual Meeting Transportation Research Board, Washington 2020.
- Luo, Qi, Marissa Gee, Daniel Work, Benedetto Piccoli, and Samitha Samaranayakee. “Managing public transit during a pandemic: the trade-off between safety and mobility” Submitted.
- Hampshire, Robert C., Carol Flannagan, H.V. Jagadish, Tayo Fabusuyi, Andong Chen, Eric Hanss, Oliver He, Kathleen D. Klinich, Qi Luo, Aditi Misra, and Matthew P. Reed. “A Public Health Informed Approach to Transportation Equity.” Submitted.
- Yunlei Yin, Qi Luo, Zhenfei Zhan, and Romesh Saigal,
- “Dynamic Subsidies for a Synergy between Charging Infrastructure Development and Electric Vehicle Adoption.” Submitted.
Journal Editorial Services (reviewer)
|Production and Operations Management||2020 – current|
|Omega||2021 – current|
|EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics||2020 – current|
|Transportation Research Part B: Methodological||2021 – current|
|Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies||2017 – current|
|Service Science||2020 – current|
|Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review||2018 – current|
|Transportation Research Record||2020 – current|
|European Journal of Operational Research||2020 – current|
|IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems||2018 – current|
|Journal of Systems Science and Complexity||2017|
Conference Session Chair and Editorial Services
|ISTDM 2021||Organizing committee member, International Symposium on Transportation Data and Modeling|
|EM4S||Organizing committee member, Emerging Mobility Systems and Services Seminar|
|IEEE||International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC)|
|INFORMS||Session chair, INFORMS Annual Meeting|
|TRB||Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting|
- Deterministic Operations Research (IE 3800, Clemson University), Spring, 2021.
- Introduction to Optimization Methods (IOE 310, University of Michigan), Instructor of Record
- Industrial and Operations Engineering, University of Michigan. Winter, 2018.
- Transportation Network Modeling (CEE 559, University of Michigan), Guest Lecturer
- Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan. Winter, 2019.
Broader Impacts & Diversity
Second place in OR What? INFORMS Student Video Competition.
No more hunting for parking? Proposed app could do it for you
qluo2 (at) Clemson.edu
Qi Luo 罗琪
277 B Freeman Hall
Department of Industrial Engineering
Clemson, SC 29634